TWC Athletic News
News Photo
Men's Soccer - Wed, Sep. 28, 2011

Tennessee Wesleyan College men's soccer team made the long bus journey to Georgetown, KY on Tuesday to play Georgetown College. Georgetown had not started the season very well with a record of won 2, lost six, but on their day they are a good side and were ready for the game against high flying Tennessee Wesleyan College. TWC was coming of two big wins of Bryan College and the University of the Cumberlands.

The game did not start well for TWC, they were struggling to keep the ball under pressure from the hard working Georgetown team. It was as if TWC had stayed on the bus for the first half and Georgetown made them pay scoring two goals in two minutes. Their first was scored after thirty five minutes and came from a mistake at the back, the ball should have been cleared by the TWC defense, it wasn't and Jordan Gregory for Georgetown had the simple task of slotting the ball into the TWC net. Georgetown's second goal came a minute later, a mishit shot from the edge of the TWC box fell to Aldo Torres who again had an easy job of putting the ball into the net. This made the half time score TWC 0 Georgetown College 2.

The TWC coaching staff must have had some stern words at half time, because a completely different TWC team came out for the second half. They were hungrier and more determined to over come the 2-0 score line. Martyn Freestone was beginning to run things in the midfield and it was he who scored TWC's first goal. On sixty minutes of the game Daniel Cardona did some good work down the TWC left, he pulled the ball back to Freestone who was waiting on the edge of the Georgetown box, Freestone struck a first time volley that flew into the top corner of the goal. It was a contender for goal of the season, but TWC hardly celebrated, they had more work to do.
Freestone was heavily involved in TWC's equalizing goal. Which came after seventy seven minutes, a long diagonal ball was played to Freestone who was streaking down the left wing, with his first touch he brought the ball under control just inside the Georgetown box and with his second he tried to cross the ball, the cross hit the hand of a Georgetown defender and the referee awarded a penalty to TWC. Confidently TWC's captain Billy Sparks stepped up to take the kick, he placed the ball into the corner of the net to make the score TWC 2 Georgetown 2. TWC kept pressing for the winning goal, but it didn't materialize before the full time whistle and the game headed into golden goal extra time.
TWC came out for the first half of the extra time with the same drive they had in the second half of regular time and created a number of chances, Freestone had a shot well saved by the Georgetown goalkeeper. Then with one minute left in the period Pedro Alba picked the ball up just inside the Georgetown half, he played a perfect through ball to the onrushing John Carrier who kept his nerve to slot his shot past the keeper and into the corner of the net for the game ending golden goal.
TWC had made hard work of the game but through an excellent second half and extra time performance had come out on top. TWC's next game is at Montreat College on Saturday, kicking off at 4.30pm.