TWC Athletic News
Theo Dweh scored his first goal of the season and had 2 assists
Theo Dweh scored his first goal of the season and had 2 assists
Men's Soccer - Thu, Sep. 20, 2012

The Tennessee Wesleyan College men's soccer team traveled to West Point, GA on Wednesday to play one of the newest teams to join the Appalachian Athletic Conference Point University. The game was scheduled to be played on Tuesday, but due to the heavy rains in that area of the country it was moved back a day.

TWC started the game quickly, opening the scoring in the third minute. They won a corner on the right, it was taken short by John Carrier to Danny Plumbe who curled the ball into the danger area. Ben Wilks rose highest and flicked the cross on to the grateful Luke Winter who had the simple task of applying the finish on the back post.

TWC doubled their lead two minutes later, John Carrier beat his marker and played the ball over the defense to the onrushing Martyn Freestone who took a touch and hit a low drive that the goal keeper did well to parry. Stefano Barriga was quickest to react and slid the ball into the net from close range.

TWC made it three after twenty four minutes, Danny Plumbe who was marauding forward from right back delivered another delicious cross to the back post, Martyn Freestone challenged the keeper who was able to punch the ball to the edge of the box. Ben Wilks was waiting, he controlled the bouncing ball and hit a rasping half volley past the flailing Point keeper and into the roof of the net.

Point pulled a goal back after. TWC lost the ball just outside their box and Points Philip Pressgrove was able to lift the ball over Bogachan Akyildiz and into the TWC net.

TWC hit back immediately, Theo Dweh did some nice work down the left, his cross found Daniel Cardona who slotted the ball back across the six yard box to Pedro Alba who slotted the ball into the net.

TWC made it five just before the break when Ronnie Couch won the ball and played it to Theo Dweh, He slid an inch perfect pass through the Point back line to the onrushing Laurence Hutchinson who was one on one with the keeper. He kept his composure and slid the ball past Point's keeper and into the back of the net. The score at the half was TWC 5 Point 1.

The second half started the same way the first ended, with TWC in the ascendancy. They won a corner on the right, Point did a good job of clearing the ball, but Nigel Lake picked it up. He played a good ball to Theo Dweh who hit a powerful shot that the keeper saved right into the path of John Carrier who passed the ball into the open net.

TWC made it seven, a long Point clearance was headed back by Josh Simnett and Theo Dweh was in the clear, he was able to power his shot past the keeper and into the back of the net.

TWC's Luke Winter scored his second with twenty four minutes left when the dangerous Ben Wilks delivered a ball from the right and Winter headed the ball in past the helpless Point keeper.

The goal of the game came when TWC freshman Brent Lesnick beat his man and chipped the ball over the Point defenders towards the back post, Stefano Barriga let the ball drop over his shoulder and hit a rasping volley into the top corner of the net.

TWC's final goal of the game came when Aaron Rock won the ball and drove towards the Point box, he laid it to Brent Lesnick who hit a low drive into the corner of the net. The final score was TWC 10 Point University 1.

TWC play again at home on Saturday, in another AAC conference game against Montreat at 2.15pm.