TWC Athletic News
Will Watkins scores the first goal for the Bulldogs
Will Watkins scores the first goal for the Bulldogs
Men's Soccer - Sun, Oct. 3, 2010

Tennessee Wesleyan College men's soccer team traveled to Maryville College on Tuesday to play a team that had inflicted two of TWC's heaviest defeats in the past two years, 4-0 and 6-1 respectively. Tuesday proved to be a different story altogether.

TWC started the first half on fire, dominating all aspects of the game and forcing Maryville to attempt speculative long distance shots. TWC's captain Luke Winter was at the heart of everything the team was doing well, he and Ryan Smith in the center midfield were dictating the play. Everyone for TWC seemed to be on form in the first half and this was shown in TWC's first goal, an eleven pass move which saw the ball shift from one side of the pitch to another ended with a great cross from Garrett Koon and a powerful header into the corner of Maryville's goal by Will Watkins. TWC's second goal came after again excellent build up play culminated in Luke Winter spraying a forty yard pass wide to Martyn Freestone who beat two players and hit a shot into the top corner of the Maryville goal. TWC kept pushing forward and their first half domination meant chances continued to be created, TWC couldn't find the net again, if they had the game surely would have been put to bed before the half. As it was the half ended TWC 2 Maryville 0.

TWC came out in the second half and looked like a different team, they struggled to keep the ball and the excellent movement from the first half was no longer there. This allowed Maryville back into the game, however they still didn't look like scoring and were still attempting long range efforts. Eventually something had to give and it did in the 74th minute when a ball was given away in the TWC half, it was picked up by on of the Maryville midfielders who hit a thunder bolt of shot into the top corner of the TWC goal. This goal served as a shot in the arm for the Maryville players and they continued to push forward for an equalizer. Still they didn't look threatening from play, but they finally equalized through another TWC give away in their half of the field. The errant pass was picked up buy the Maryville right back who ran with the ball into the TWC box, played a one, two and had the easy task of putting the ball into the net.

Right before full time TWC's Luke Winter was given a red card for a second yellow and TWC were going into overtime with ten men. This was TWC's fifth overtime in eight games, but with ten men they couldn't make their experience in these situations pay.

The final score after double overtime was TWC 2 Maryville 2.

It was a definite Jeckle and Hide performance from TWC, who will have to put two halfs together in their next game against King College, another NCAA II team who are flying at the moment after a 7-0 win over TWC's conference rivals Virginia Intermont College. The game is this Saturday October 2nd at 3.30pm at King College.