TWC Athletic News
Andy Cooper finishes with 13 points for the Bulldogs
Andy Cooper finishes with 13 points for the Bulldogs
Men's Basketball - Tue, Nov. 30, 2010

The Bulldogs traveled to Young Harris to play the Mountain Lions on Monday night. With the Bulldogs leading by as many as 20 points in the first half it looked to be an easy win for Tennessee Wesleyan, but the Mountain Lions battled back to cut the game to with 2. Young Harris' O'Neil Lubin throw up a last second shot but it bounced off the back iron to give the Bulldogs a 75-73 win.

The Mountain Lions fell behind 12-4 after a pair of Justin Hicks free throws with 14:43 remaining in opening half, but trimmed the deficit to 15-13 with 10:03 left on a jumper by Lubin. The Bulldogs (5-5) used a 23-5 run, capped by an Andy Cooper jumper to push the advantage to 38-18. However, the Mountain Lions responded with a 14-2 run to close out the first half as Young Harris trailed, 40-32 at the break.

Young Harris cut the margin to 43-36 with 18:03 remaining on a jumper, but back came the Bulldogs, extending the lead to 51-36 with 14:39 left on a Hicks jumper. Tennessee Wesleyan led, 67-56 with 7:02 left, but the Mountain Lions used a 14-4 run during the next six minutes, capped by a layup with 1:54 remaining. A pair of free throws by E'Jay Ward gave the Bulldogs a 73-70 lead with 1:06 remaining, setting the stage for a fantastic finish.

The Mountain Lions had a chance to cut the deficit to one, but Lubin's shot was off the front iron and rebounded by Matt Towry, who got the ball up the floor to Ward. Ward sank both free throws with seven seconds left to give the Bulldogs a 75-70 lead. The Mountain Lions responded to the challenge as Lubin dished the ball off to Matt Preston, who fired the 3-pointer to cut the margin to 75-73 with two seconds left. Bryson Robertson, who finished with eight points and four blocks, fouled Cooper with 1.9 seconds left, but Cooper missed the front end of a one-and-one and Young Harris head coach Pete Herrmann quickly called timeout. After the timeout, Lubin got the inbounds pass and his shot from just past half court hit the back iron and bounced over the backboard as time expired.

Matt Towry had 20 points and 11 rebounds to lead Tennessee Wesleyan. Cooper finished with 13 points and Hicks chipped in with 12. Matt Harper recorded 11 points as the Bulldogs were 29-of-65 shooting for 45 percent, including going 14-of-27 in the second half for 52 percent.

The Bulldogs return home on December 1st for a game at 6:00 pm against Berea College.